Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Starbucks and I......an affair gone bad.

My most recent experience with coffee is almost fully responsible for the start of this blog (that and a lot of arm twisting by friends for the past year to share my stories.) It took me quite awhile to join facebook where a couple of tagged photos easily dismantled my and/or my family's political aspirations.

 I am the first to admit that I have a problem with filters....we'll see if that makes for good blogging!  You'll quickly see that I love my sweet girls so much, that if I could fit them in my mouth and eat them, I would----why do we always want to eat cute things?  I love the inspiration and wisdom of old people---there isn't a sweet wrinkly old man out there that doesn't turn my head.  They have lived.  I love Texas breakfast tacos, learning new things, hats, chandeliers, pregnant bellies and all that is marketing (yes, I watch commercials!)  And, of course, what would life be like without my husband?  He's incredibly intelligent, witty, articulate and dare I say ridiculously attractive.   I did after all accept his request to spend our lives together.

As I write this first blog.....I am still wondering about blogging and keep saying to myself-Does anyone really care?  This should be a fun journey and I'd certainly love to hear from other bloggers out there about your experiences!

About 6 weeks ago I discovered the tall cafe mocha at Starbucks, well, I suppose you could say I found coffee in general.  The birth of a second child had me exploring options for energy that I may have left unturned in the past.  It was love at first sip and energy beyond my wildest dreams. If you think I talk fast, you should've heard me now.  I also spent quite a few mornings experimenting with "happiness in a cup" (the peppermint cafe mocha.)

A month ago I, who never, ever gets sick, came down with the flu.  While simultaneously firing up 2 humidifiers and cursing the medical community who once again got the flu vaccine strain wrong, I stripped my children (who must be sweating as much as I was) down to summer pajamas and I tried and tried to throw up the terrible feeling with no success.  Heart palpitations, sweating and light headed I was up all night.

Well, this happened again Friday.  The flu hit me again.  Body aches, sweat, palpitations.  Everything.  I handed the kids off to Jason for the night, filled the humidifiers and took my position by the toilet.  I knew something had to be wrong here.  I have kids, which means I have hands on medical training and of the 190 cold and flu viruses out there...once you get one, you typically don't get the same one again.  This situation reminded me of when I had Sophia 4 years ago.  Boy was I thrown off!  Filled will love for this sweet infant, but certainly thrown off.  I remember sitting on the couch and telling myself, " You have an MBA, why in the world can't you figure out how to clean your body?"  I pondered this for awhile and finally put Sophia in her stroller, walked her around the house to sleep, wheeled her into the bathroom and had my first shower in days.  I digressed.  Anyhow, I thought long and hard crouched by that toilet seat and it finally came to me.  

This was an anxiety attack.  A caffeine induced anxiety attack.

The magnitude of the loss set in.  No more liquid cocaine.  No more morning meaningless conversations with the peppy Starbucks man.  

I pondered how to maintain my newfound energy level.

I decided to incorporate the "natural" approach and run.  Since Saturday, I have run 1 mile and only 1 mile every single day.  This is someone who in the past only ran if someone was chasing me. (thnks Lis).

So far...so good...just a couple days of withdrawal headaches.

I'll keep you posted, of course!











1 comment:

  1. Not one to read blogs as a rule, I'm won over reading yours. It was just like the old days when we had those "stream of consciousness" phone calls at work. You have a very humorous way of capturing the essence of things that I like very much. I especially liked the comments you made about the lady who complained about people who laughed too loud about things that weren't even that funny. Keep your sense of humor for ever. It is one of your best attributes.

    ReplyDelete