Monday, January 12, 2009

And Then She Sang

I enjoy January 12th.  

That might be an understatement because there is a skip in my step today (and no, it's not the new Adidas running shoes, that yes have that brand new bounce in them that a runner or not.....puts a smile on your face).  It's one of those calendar days similar to your birthday.  You log onto the computer or turn on your phone and when you see the date pop up, it's just that indescribable butterflies in the stomach feeling.  

Similar to the warmth a sweet old man gave to me so unknowingly that I will carry with me throughout my days.   

I was 8 months pregnant with Sophia and waddling into the grocery store at a snail's pace.  

The oldest, 
wrinkliest, 
grayest, 
knee high wearing socks,
old gentleman

 most likely 87 years old was keeping pace with me, and of course, I only had eyes for him.  If one placed a newborn baby and this particular man in my direct line of sight, I venture to say that he would have my full attention.  Even though I had the obvious authority to park in the "parking for expectant mothers" front spot, we arrived at the entry door at the same time.  He unhunched himself from his walker long enough to make direct eye contact with me and say, "Ladies first, that's what my Mom always taught me."

Remarkable.  And a great message for a budding brand new mother to get.

I told you I always get my messages....no matter what the delivery.

I've been skipping through the day and humming the various timeless hits by Sir Elton John for hours now.   8 years ago tonight my sweet Jason and I were closing down our 3 week vacation to the Hawaiian Islands with an intimate Elton John concert on Oahu.  It was the eve of his loving, somewhat gentle and full of such innocence marriage proposal.

I relish January 12th.
  
I am one who always looks forward and the anticipation of an event for me is almost as sweet as the experience.

This, my husband who just this weekend looked at our naked 30 foot floor to ceiling stone fireplace mantel that I am paralyzed in decorating and suggested that perhaps my 1983 2nd place rolling skating trophy would be appropriate.  

Sure Jason and be reminded on a daily basis of the summer that Laura Blazer's legs grew 1/4 of inch longer than mine and she narrowly passed the finish line ahead of me, securing the victory. 

I let down every single St. George Dragon that afternoon.

What about his 140x160 1992 fraternity composite?  This that denotes the year of his Presidency?

Yes, we are in receipt of such an "heirloom" and how it came to be is best described in another post.

Yes, this my sweet husband, who when we meet a new couple still tells them our love story with an obviously detectable twinkle in his eye.

Not surprisingly,  I enjoy January 12th.




1 comment:

  1. I think the fraternity composite would be a great decorative touch. I've heard through our "Texas A&M Pi Phi's in the 90's" Facebook group that the ones from my college years are up for grabs. Don't think I haven't thought about requesting one. If I'd been president? For sure we'd be getting that baby! We've got the mantle covered, but there's a nice big wall upstairs that could use a little touch of the arrow.

    ReplyDelete