Thursday, January 15, 2009

Out With The Old....In With?

It's the next afternoon and I can still somewhat feel the comfortable silence in the house.  Kids down to sleep, husband sent off on an errand.

I settled into my most inviting chair with a snack and hit DVR.   

Unfairly, but that's always the case around here, Jason was immediately and quite vocally accused of stopping my recording of Dirty Sexy Money for yet another nail biting, edge of the seat, riveting episode of the World Series of Poker.  

I am a Poker Widow, but that's for another post.

I accepted my fate for the evening and  made my way through the warm, dimly lit house.  I shut the office doors and logged onto ABC.com.  My second "settling in" for the evening had me in front of the computer.  The last place I wanted to be seeing as Jason was off returning a camcorder of deleted Parrott family moments, such as Sophia's Christmas Recital, Christmas Morning, The Naked Dallas Botanical Gardens in the middle of December and countless commentaries by none other than myself.  After 2 weeks of researching blogs, pestering friends and countless appointments at the Apple store, I accepted that my spunky red JVC was indeed, not compatible with a Mac. 

 It's a tragic loss, I was fond of her.  

I repeatedly clicked "Dirty Sexy Money......." and repeatedly was taken back to ABC's homepage.  I was wasting precious free time and sadly, yes, even I get frustrated sometimes.  I scrutinized the evening lineup for the week and didn't see DSM listed.  It didn't take me long to figure this one out.  

This is not the first time that the American Broadcasting Company has cancelled a show with no apparent regard for its viewers or sponsors.  I silently suffered the loss of Jack and Jill years ago and most recently What About Brian.  They simply take it off the air, with no communication.  I'd like to get my hands on the advertising figures for DSM.  If the new Cover Girl EyeLights Mascara is advertised 3 times that hour, what are the online and in-store sales figures in the following 3 days?  I know my eyes are greener since I started wearing it.

These actors are paid a substantial amount of money to take me out of my reality and gently place me into theirs for a hour.  Similar to Brothers and Sisters, I turn the TV off and sit in awe of the creative writers and the weekly scripts.  It is my sincere hope that the writers are recycled at ABC, they are second to none.

While watching Karen spend her evenings with Simon outfitted in delicate, feminine and sometimes inviting lingerie, I, for a split second firmly believe that this is how all the women in my life spend their evenings.  Dear friends, maybe family members, certainly the neighbors all feeling great about themselves in a flattering ensemble.

For a moment in time, I am temporarily motivated to "slip into something less comfortable."

A commercial usually jets me back to the here and now,  but I still think I'll ring a few close friends in the morning and inquire on their evening attire.

Last time I talked to Kim she had 2 of 3 kids confirmed with strep throat and a Father-in-Law resting comfortably on her sofa.

If the creative writers had done their jobs right.....

shouldn't Kim be in lingerie right now?







No comments:

Post a Comment