Monday, May 25, 2009

It Only Takes A Spark....To Get A Fire Going


A few months ago a girl was walking into Sophia's school carrying a Trader Joe's Recyclable Bag. I quickly approached her and over excitedly asked her where Trader Joe's was in the Dallas area.

"There are none. I'm from California and I miss it so much!"

When we first moved to San Antonio and discovered the absence of the organic reasonably priced best ever branded food, I immediately researched franchising information. Planting one of these great novelties in Austin would very quickly allow for the early retirement Jason dreams of.

What pleasure it would be to send this email:

We've Moved (Yes, Again!)

The Parrott Family
1234 Ocean Avenue A
Maui, HI 84512

I grew up celebrating Earth Day every April.

My sister and I would run screaming down the big open hill. Long, skinny legs with stringy hair to match working as fast as it could to catch the over sized striped ball that tumbled in front of us. Environmental exhibits and carnival type food at every turn.

We looked forward to it.

We are growing up with our Dad, after all. Nicknamed Mocassin Mike by his friends.

An avid environmentalist, canoeist and outdoors man who embraced the green concept long before it was en vogue.

He enjoys retirement now and bikes most places for exercise. I sit typing in his office looking at a calendar full of volunteer activities, article submission deadlines, botany classes, etc. I am surrounded by fossils, awards and a lamp shade full of bugs.

I never could muster the courage to trap a half dead scorpion in vinegar for my Dad's collection. Tiffany doesn't live in San Antonio anymore either. She's the only one I know who might do this for me.

I am not sure he'll ever get one. Maybe I'll FB Courtney. She's brave.

Last week Trader Joe's installed a bike rack.

Trader Joe's ---smack dab in the middle of bustling suburbia surrounded by malls, movie theatres, restaurants and main roads.

They told my Dad he was their inspiration.

We don't need to gather the masses. We don't need an outcry. We don't even need words.

We can make this world a better place by living out our passion. And then sit back and watch it all fall into place around us.

No comments:

Post a Comment