Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Kicking Off Summer 2009






A freshly mowed lawn, the setting sun, dozens upon dozens of families, pets, friends and young lovers all coziest up on blankets made for a picture perfect opening night!  

Our town hosts Summer Sounds every Monday evening with alternating local musicians.

 If last night was any indication of the level of entertainment we will have in Summer 2009, then I am over the moon excited!  The activities for kids left little to be desired.  Games, bubbles and extra large balls could be seen eminating from the 4 year old mosh pit as one friend so accurately described it.  I took great pleasure in watching Sophia dance as hard as she could to cover songs from Counting Crows, John Mayer, U2 and yes, even Jakob Dylan  (a.k.a. my pretend boyfriend).

Most of our friends have babies getting ready to walk or just newly tapping their feet to the ground so the majority of our conversations went unfinished as we "protected" our little adventurers from the oversized canine on the blanket next to us, choking hazard upon choking hazard or from pulling strollers down on themselves.  

This stage goes so fast and by next opening season my little dolly will be down in the mosh pit. 

I fully expect a bright display of her second born child strength and stamina.

As Juliet and I walked through the crowds I sang along with the band.  I honestly knew the word to every song.   They are all hits from my last two years of college that we played over and over again in the Pub II over drafts, darts and good company.  Enjoying the moment while simultaneously contemplating our future.

Sophia continued to dance and I to sing.  The warm, fresh air was intoxicating.  

My little bambino and I admired all the young couples sipping wine and slowly eating tasty delicacies from Market Street.  

We admired the blankets full of kids and every Gerber snack on the market.  Puffs, Lil Crunchies, Fruit Bars, etc.

We stopped to pet a gorgeous 120 lb. midnight black Great Dane with the longest legs and tallest ears you've ever seen.

She picked and ingested more freshly mowed grass than a usual day.

I walked her back to our own pool of assorted Gerber delights and exclaimed to my friend that I was having the best time ever!

She looked at her watch and said, "Yes, but it's 8:00 already and we have to get going now."

I can easily forgive her for knocking me off my love fest for my new town.   

She showed up with a bag full of chocolate covered caramel popcorn with pecans and marshmallows drizzled in white chocolate.

That's a decent friend.

No comments:

Post a Comment