Tuesday, June 16, 2009

When All Else Fails....Strip.

Friday afternoon I kissed the girls goodbye and took the Metra Train into the city for 29 hours of delicious ME time.

The agenda was ambitious.

Friday:
First appearance: Maggiano's on State Street for an AT&T retirement dinner.
Second viewing: Hosting Michelle's surprise baby shower at Georgia's condo in the south loop.
Third and final coming out: Vertigo Night Club

Saturday:
Wake up as expeditiously as possible so as to not miss a minute sitting at Cosi Bagels and people watching over peppermint hot chocolate and an everything bagel lightly toasted with my sister. Catch a cab to Wrigley Field for a sky box seat to watch the Cubs get pummeled by the Minnesota Twins.

The ambiance of Wrigley Field still leaves me in awe. You truly cannot tell if the Cubs have been defeated or have been deemed victors for the day---the crowd is always happy, energetic and full of support. It was impossible to catch a cab after the game so I spent about an hour just walking South with the crowds. A cool, but sunny day. Buses zooming past with exhaust fumes. Patrons hanging out of bars, crowding the streets. I walked past our old apartment on Belmont and Racine and thought back to our "DINK" days. I had about 1 hour before my train back to New Lenox. I enjoyed this time at the Old Town Art Fair with Amy and her friends. A table full of relaxation, laughter and ease. A large jug of "jungle juice" made the perfect center piece.

At one point Amy's friend said "On the count of three, we will all interact." Everyone had been heads down fully engrossed on their Iphones.

FaceBooking.

Texting.

There's always someplace better to be, isn't there?

The cab pulled up to Maggiano's early evening on Friday. I exited one long leg and again admired the fantastic heels adorning my feet. A fitted silk dress and clutch purse completed my presentation.

After receiving a promise to drive safely I paid the cabbie and took a moment to just stand on the corner and take it all in.

Sweet Home Chicago.

Living in quiet suburbia you easily forget the blaring horns, packed streets and luminescent lights of big city.

It makes you feel alive.

My dear AT&T friend (and old boss), John did not announce my trip into The Windy City.

I was to be the surprise guest!

We were honoring Kim and Chris in their retirement and I haven't seen them in about 6 years.

The floor was mine.

All eyes were on me and everyone wanted to know how Jason and I were doing in The Land of Texas.

I proceeded with my standard explanation of the pride Jason takes in his HR work with the company, but is currently working torturous hours as union negotiations continue. I was curious as to why my fact filled explanation of the plights was met with peculiar looks. I continued on. And on. Healthcare is an issue. Etc....Etc....Etc.

It finally occurred to me that everyone in that room was an AT&T employee.

I stopped, laughed and said, but you guys probably already know all this SINCE YOU WORK THERE.

KNOW. YOUR. AUDIENCE. TRACY.

Nice.

I moved to another social circle. I had to redeem the intellect that I previously took for granted!

My Iphone was being passed around the room. Everyone wanted to see pictures of Sophia and Juliet.

Suddenly I heard a shout, "Oh my gosh, Tracy, you look great!"

I responded with "You are sweet, Rosa, thank you" while wondering how a picture of me got on my iphone. I would certainly never turn the phone around and point the camera at me.

It came to me.

The room was in slow motion as my body heated up in horror.

I would certainly need a reapplication of my Soft n Dry before the next evening event.

I engulfed on the group as they viewed not 1, but 2 pictures of me in a bikini.

65 year old men I worked with, former bosses, ridiculously intelligent colleagues, all executives.

Nope, I don't usually have SOPHIA take photos of me. In fact, with this one time exception, she is not even allowed to touch my phone.

However, since bearing 2 babies I am paralyzed in making any fashion decisions without the aid of my sister. I had to email these photos to her immediately!

The Victoria Secret package arrived at my parents house and when I tried on the bikini I was wildly disappointed that I looked nothing like the picture in the catalog.

Wasn't I supposed to look just like the intoxicatingly beautiful girl wearing that ensemble on the beach?

Yes, the intention was to redeem myself as the formidable, undaunted, intelligent manager they knew years ago.

As my cab pulled out, I could only assume the shock and awe strategy worked.

2 comments:

  1. classic! Love it. Did I tell you, I may be making my debut in your beautiful city in the coming months. Assuming everything works out I will be accompanying Casey on a business trip. I will keep you posted.

    ReplyDelete