Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Stereotypical Sorority Girl

We have had a pleasurable few weeks visiting friends in San Antonio and having my Dad and sister spend a week with us in Dallas.  This has created quite a list of potential writing material.

San Antonio was having their annual 3 day cold front during our visit.  It was actually nice to be "snowed" in with friends!  Patricia was taking Sophia and Camryn to a children's theatre to see Peter Rabbit while Juliet snuck in a much needed nap.  

I found myself alone and took the opportunity to play with my new Iphone.  There was so much about it that I hadn't explored. I downloaded Pandora, the application that creeps inside your thoughts and will only play songs that you enjoy tremendously---one after another.   I entered the song "BetterMan" by Pearl Jam and was talking to myself in disbelief as they played equally appealing songs from this late 90's genre over and over again.

"Three Marlenas" by WallFlowers came on and I rolled over on the floor consumed in laughter.  Might I add it was a comfortable roll, Patricia had recently purchased a stunning new area rug from Home Goods.  She was a joy that would light up anyone's living quarters.

Brace yourself for a side of Tracy you may not have had the opportunity to be in the presence of.

The college sorority girl.

It was late August and the Illinois State Fair boasted its usual line up of mediocre musical talent with a catchy headliner.  The son of the great Bob Dylan would be playing with his band, The WallFlowers.

This left us no choice, we embarked on yet another college road trip.

Alcoholic beverages of choice in hand, we had general seating in the outdoor venue.  Situated on the second level, Leann and I decided we were entirely too far away from this stunning creature of God.

Don't get me wrong.  I do not prescribe to Jakob's lifestyle of drug and alcohol abuse, citing enhanced creativity or not.  I also firmly believe that Sigmund Freud would still be the scholar he is deemed without his use of the cocoa bean and designation as the world's first known cocaine addict.  I am lucky enough to be in the presence of a considerable number of creative people who absolutely flourish..... without mind altering substances.

That being said, I am not immune to the sheer intoxication that a vocalist can bring me to.  

Leann and I headed down through the crowd with all the self righteous authority of naive college students.   We mingled ourselves into the dead center of row 2.    

Jakob immediately made eye contact with me.  I did the cursory glance over my shoulder to ensure his interest.

Yes, he was locked on me.

This continued on for the duration of the song.  

I heard mumblings of "Oh My God he is singing to her. " "He can't take his eyes off her."  Young, local High School girls were screaming at me..."He is singing to you!"

Well of course he is budding young ladies......don't you see my stunning platinum blond hair?  Or perhaps he is attracted to the 6 pack stomach that is gently peeking out of my yes, half shirt.  All this to offer and he hasn't even met my captivating personality yet.

I am so making out with Jakob Dylan today.

Without exaggeration, Jakob continues the solo concert for my personal pleasure and as the stadium empties.... I am left standing.  Leann is long gone and in typical fashion, carrying the news back to the group.

The sun has long set and I will need to be pried from my place on the ground.  A sound stage gentleman motions to me from the stage.

This is it!

"Sweetie, he says....If Jakob wanted you to come to his trailer he would've asked us to get you by now."

It took a minute for the crushing news to set in.  I turned on heel to find a completely empty stadium. The silence combined with the size of the venue mirrored my defeat.

Months later on the cusp of a momentous occasion, I attempted to contact my serenader.  

Surely an invitation to my sorority formal would be accepted.

All I can do is hope that Sophia and Juliet don't get a full dose of my intrepid spunk.

2 comments:

  1. Awww, heartbreak! I have to ask ... what sorority?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hee hee on the airport - eesh!

    I was an AXO at Baylor :)

    ReplyDelete